IRC chat on Tuesday! Join us June 12, 2012, 11am California time, 18:00GMT, for our weekly 30 minute setiQuest IRC chat at irc://irc.freenode.net/#setiquest
Or in a browser: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=setiquest
Today's topic can be:
Any other ideas are appreciated.
[11:00am] jrseti_: Hello All!
[11:00am] jrseti_: Time for the weekly IRC chat
[11:00am] khrm joined the chat room.
[11:00am] jrseti_: See http://setiquest.org/forum/topic/community-meeting-2012-06-12
[11:00am] gliese581c: Title: Community Meeting 2012-06-12 | setiQuest (at setiquest.org)
[11:01am] jrseti_: Leash - are you there?
[11:01am] leash: Yes, I am.
[11:01am] sigblips: Greetings Earthlings!
[11:02am] jrseti_: MWWT is not dead yet. At SETICon, in about 10 days, Jonathan Fey from MWWT will be there. I'll bug him.
[11:02am] jrseti_: I am at the ATA this week
[11:02am] jrseti_: Looking out the window at the antennas
[11:03am] sigblips: What are you working on up at the ATA?
[11:03am] jrseti_: The weather is warm. No moon the last several nights and clear skys
[11:03am] jrseti_: I am fillng in for the on-site observer who is on vacation this wek.
[11:04am] janebird joined the chat room.
[11:04am] jrseti_: week
[11:04am] leash: Jrseti- I saw that in the emails. I hope the conversation is enlightening.
[11:04am] jrseti_: Hello Hane!
[11:04am] jrseti_: I meant "Jane". My typing is terrible today
[11:04am] jrseti_: See http://setiquest.org/forum/topic/community-meeting-2012-06-12
[11:04am] gliese581c: Title: Community Meeting 2012-06-12 | setiQuest (at setiquest.org)
[11:05am] jrseti_: 1) Website. Is there any other little things I should fix?
[11:06am] sigblips: The Flickr button is gone but the RSS button is a broken image for me.
[11:06am] sigblips: It was working.
[11:07am] jrseti_: I'll check on that. On what page, the main page?
[11:08am] sigblips: The forum page. But it's working now. Did you just fix it?
[11:09am] jrseti_: No. But on my forum page the RSS button does not show. I'll look at that.
[11:09am] sigblips: That's exactly what I was seeing about 5 minutes ago.
[11:10am] jrseti_: The link works, though....
[11:10am] jrseti_: We need to move the FAQ to the WiKi
[11:11am] jrseti_: I'll put it on my list again
[11:11am] sigblips: Yes, it was on my list of things to do that I didn't get to yet. I'll import it today and send you the link.
[11:11am] jrseti_: OK, thanks
[11:12am] sigblips: ATA question. Why are the dishes pointing in three different directions? http://setiquest.info/data/cam1
[11:12am] gliese581c: Title: SetiQuest Info Service (at setiquest.info)
[11:12am] jrseti_: I don't know. SETI is not observing now.
[11:12am] sigblips: Are some of the dishes still broken?
[11:13am] jrseti_: 6 don't have feeds, they are being fixed at the factory
[11:13am] sigblips: That could explain it. Thanks.
[11:13am] jrseti_: 2) KHRMs distro. No luck with AWS
[11:14am] jrseti_: Sigblips: thoughts on this?
[11:14am] sigblips: I believe that the problem is with the KDE desktop distro not wanting to boot into failsafe mode on a headless server.
[11:15am] davidstrauss joined the chat room.
[11:15am] jrseti_: That seems like a plausible reason. Too bad
[11:16am] sigblips: SUSE's Gnome distro does not have this problem. But it really begs the question of why do we want to run a desktop distro on a headless server? It's cool to be able to but it's rather pointless.
[11:16am] jrseti_: I will try it on my MacBook using VMWare
[11:17am] jrseti_: We run the real SonATA on a headless server. Or at least, we don't ever use the display, available only via KVM switch.
[11:17am] sigblips: VMware and the bootable ISO's are a really useful feature of SUSEstudio IMO.
[11:18am] jrseti_: Should I be able to boot directly from SUSEstudio, or do I need to download and mount the ISO first?
[11:18am] sigblips: Yes but your Dell's have a video card. The AWS EC2 machines don't even have a virtual video device.
[11:18am] sigblips: With VMware?
[11:18am] khrm: You will have to download the iso.
[11:19am] khrm: or vmimage
[11:19am] jrseti_: Yes, VMFusion actually
[11:19am] jrseti_: OK, I'll try
[11:20am] jrseti_: 3) I need a new Poll sugestion
[11:20am] khrm: How does a headless server by SETI is run as I think xterm is require for sonata?
[11:21am] jrseti_: khrm: We log in remotely and tunnel X
[11:21am] sigblips: jrseti_: On susestudio, click on the the Virtual icon and then you can download a special VMware image.
[11:21am] jrseti_: OK
[11:22am] khrm: how much ram do you have?
[11:22am] jrseti_: I can spare 4GB and 2 processors. I can run SonATA on it.
[11:23am] jrseti_: Poll ideas?
[11:23am] khrm: Then vmimage will work
[11:24am] jrseti_: khrm: I'll try. I just got a large external disk. My main MacBook disk is almost full.
[11:24am] sigblips: Poll question: Should jrseti get the new MacBook Pro with the retina display? (Yes / No) (:
[11:24am] jrseti_: That is not a good one. 100% would answer "Yes"
[11:25am] jrseti_: Take a look at this artice. Silly. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120612101601.htm
[11:25am] gliese581c: Title: Making music with real stars: Kepler Telescope star data creates musical melody (at www.sciencedaily.com)
[11:26am] sigblips: That project is taking a lot of artistic liberties.
[11:27am] jrseti_: Some rapper should latch onto this and create the next hit song
[11:27am] jrseti_: ;)
[11:28am] jrseti_: 4) SETILive update: no update. We are still waiting for Zooniverse to give us some debug time.
[11:28am] jrseti_: Frustrating as it is...
[11:28am] sigblips: They must be busy.
[11:29am] jrseti_: Must be!
[11:30am] jrseti_: 5) SETICon is the weekend after this one.
[11:30am] jrseti_: I am going to be demoing SETILive there, trying to create a flier to hand out
[11:30am] sigblips: I see that you are on a panel or two.
[11:31am] jrseti_: Yes, simple ones. One is to talk to people about potential mobile games and apps
[11:31am] jrseti_: Anything else anyone wants to discuss?
[11:32am] khrm: what is the poll question?
[11:33am] jrseti_: No one had an idea
[11:34am] jrseti_: Is the China space program competition for NASA?
[11:34am] jrseti_: I've been wondering that
[11:34am] sigblips: They can send astronauts into space and we can't.
[11:35am] jrseti_: Yes, I hope they get a moon base soon and shame us Americans into a space race.
[11:35am] leash: What about the private industry? Should it be for tourism or science?
[11:36am] jrseti_: I'm for 10% tourism to pay for the science.
[11:36am] sigblips: Whatever makes economic sense. If space tourism can reduce the costs so that space science cheaper than that would be great.
[11:36am] jrseti_: yes
[11:37am] jrseti_: OK All, thanks for the meeting today!
[11:38am] khrm: bye
[11:38am] khrm left the chat room. (Quit: Bye)
[11:38am] sigblips: I'll post the transcript in the forum.
[11:38am] janebird left the chat room. (Quit: Page closed)
[11:38am] jrseti_: thanks.
[11:38am] jrseti_: bye
[11:38am] jrseti_ left the chat room. (Remote host closed the connection)
[11:39am] leash left the chat room. (Quit: Page closed)