Discussion Forums

Community Meeting 2012-08-14

1 reply [Last post]
sigblips
sigblips's picture

[11:03am] sigblips: Greetings Earthlings. Welcome to the weekly setiQuest community meeting.
[11:09am] sigblips: Hello. Is there anybody out there?
[11:16am] sigblips: Wow! I guess not. And that is so appropriate because tomorrow is the 35th anniversary of the Wow! signal that was detected by the Big Ear telescope at Ohio State.
[11:18am] sigblips: Now the crazy thing is that tomorrow "they" will be celebrating the Wow! signal's anniversary by transmitting tweets into deep space at Arecibo. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/09/wow-signal-tweets_n_1762118.htm...
[11:19am] sigblips: "'Wow! Signal' From Earth: Tweets Set For Deep Space This Week"
[11:20am] sigblips: Who are "they" and who gave them permission to do this?
[11:22am] sigblips: Doesn't SRI operate and manage both the ATA and Arecibo?
[11:23am] sigblips: Isn't there some sort of SETI protocol that forbids transmitting?
[11:24am] sigblips: Yes there is. "Protocols for an ETI Signal Detection" at http://www.seti.org/post-detection.html says "No response to a signal or other evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence should be sent until appropriate international consultations have taken place. The procedures for such consultations will be the subject of a separate agreement, declaration or arrangement."
[11:33am] sigblips: So we have a SETI protocol about authorization for signal transmissions. Hmmmm, I hate to judge before all the facts are in but it looks like someone exceeded their authority.
[11:34am] sigblips: That quote was a blatant Dr. Strangelove ripoff! (:
[11:37am] sigblips: Seriously though, this Arecibo "tweets in space" publicity stunt should have involved more people and been discussed first. I wonder what the SETI Institute's position on this pending transmission is?
[11:42am] sigblips: Check out the "The Post-Detection SETI Protocol" http://www.coseti.org/setiprot.htm by John Billingham of the SETI Institute board of Directors.
[11:44am] sigblips: Well, it was great talking to myself. Thanks for not showing up. See you next week.
[11:44am] sigblips: This concludes the weekly setiQuest community meeting.

sigblips
sigblips's picture
#tweetsinspace

This tweets in space topic was discussed during the next two setiQuest weekly community IRC meetings:

National Geographic's "Chasing UFOs" TV series was responsible for the tweets in space event.

Now it seems that a different group of people are planning a similar #tweetsinspace stunt but not with Arecibo transmitting towards the source of the WOW! signal. This time they are going to use an antenna in Florida and transmit towards GJ667Cc that is 22 light years away. Check out the Wired article:

Seth Shostak comments in the article. What do you think? Should Earth be transmitting? Do you even care?

[Update: Wired.com refuses to post my deja-vu comment so I recommend not even bothering to read that poorly researched Wired article by Jason Kehe. I don't understand how he could have interviewed a number of SETI experts and completely missed the fact that this widely publicized #tweetsinspace event was done at Arecibo the month prior.]