Discussion Forums

Community Meeting 2012-12-04

2 replies [Last post]
jrseti
jrseti's picture

IRC chat on Tuesday! Join us December 04, 2012, 11am California time, 19:00GMT, for our weekly 30 minute setiQuest IRC chat at irc://irc.freenode.net/#setiquest

Or in a browser: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=setiquest
Today's topic can be:

1. SETILive update - hopefully Lou from SETILive will be on the chat like last week.
  2. Distant Suns has incorporated the setiquest.info XML feed.
  3. Sigblips Voyager analysis.
  4. ?

-jrseti

sigblips
sigblips's picture
[11:00am] jrseti_: Hello

[11:00am] jrseti_: Hello all!
[11:01am] jrseti_: Lou is with us again today!
[11:01am] jrseti_: See http://setiquest.org/forum/topic/community-meeting-2012-12-04
[11:01am] sigblips: Greetings Earthlings!
[11:01am] lnigra: Hello! Yup, in the house :-)
[11:01am] lnigra: Ready to talk SETILive?
[11:02am] jrseti_: It is item 1 on the agenda
[11:03am] lnigra: OK, deploying a couple minor things by tomorrow...
[11:04am] lnigra: Main thing is a display of time when the telescope will next change status just under the Telescope info think at top...
[11:05am] lnigra: So, it will say "Active until: "
[11:05am] jrseti_: I think everything is working on the SonATA side, at least as far as we know.
[11:05am] lnigra: Yes, seems to be. I'm going to deploy a new version of the Renderer which launches a thread every five minutes to poll the schedule info for this new feature.
[11:06am] jrseti_: How many people have been on the site every night, average?
[11:06am] sigblips: How many followups has SETI Live done? I haven't got one yet.
[11:06am] lnigra: We'll use that to trigger an opt-in email whenever it goes inactive to give the next active time.
[11:06am] lnigra: That feature isn't fully incorporated yet, though.
[11:07am] lnigra: Got some annoying bugs: classification and signal counts jump dramatically for some users for some reason (including myself)
[11:08am] lnigra: Also some anomalies in followup messages and the timing is apparently often late. Trying to digest and analyze Jane's email info on followup messages.
[11:09am] lnigra: In general, I think folks are happy with the new site and we have a reasonable activity level from time to time. Pretty happy with that.
[11:10am] lnigra: Regarding SETILive's future, my boss is going to discuss this with Jill. I'll still be at Adler as it turns out after the TED grant runs out, so I'll be around anyway.
[11:10am] jrseti_: The first actual followup will be a big deal. Have the champagne ready.
[11:11am] sigblips: I'm saving my Champagne for when we detect SETI !
[11:11am] lnigra: Yeah, that hasn't quite happened yet. I'll go get some bubbly :-)
[11:11am] jrseti_: I'm glad there will be discussions about what to do after January. Let us know when anything is decided!
[11:11am] lnigra: sigblips - I'm saving the good stuff for that, hehe!
[11:12am] jrseti_: Next topic?
[11:13am] lnigra: Oh yeah, I'm considering some more ui changes - mainly eliminating the "Describe the Signal" pop-ups when doing live data. I think that would be well-received, but a bit confusing for the casual user.
[11:13am] sigblips: I noticed that the SETI Live talk page had problems yesterday. Do you know what caused that? Do all the Zooniverse projects use the same talk server?
[11:13am] lnigra: Ok, that's it.
[11:14am] lnigra: Yes, sigblips, I think it is the same server. They're doing some re-vamping of Talk in general so it was probably related to their frequent messing with development deploys.
[11:15am] jrseti_: FYI: I'm at the ATA today.
[11:15am] lnigra: same server at some level anyway, database or higher, I'm not sure.
[11:16am] sigblips: That machine must be busy dealing with the load of all the Zooniverse projects. How many are there now? More than 20?
[11:18am] lnigra: They don't all use Talk, many do, but zooniverse are keeping an eye on the loading just the same.
[11:20am] sigblips: I've noticed recently that the setiQuest forum and wiki have suffered some slow down. I don't understand why since setiQuest gets a very low amount of traffic. Maybe it's the hackers?
[11:21am] jrseti_: No idea. I haven't noticed it.
[11:21am] sigblips: Could be the spammer bots.
[11:21am] lnigra: No idea here either, it's all magic to me anyway. :-)
[11:22am] lnigra: Sure could sigblips. Maybe there's a tool you can use to check that out.
[11:23am] sigblips: That's jrseti's domain since he maintains the physical server. I don't have the access to figure out what is really going on.
[11:23am] jrseti_: I have no idea how to check.
[11:24am] sigblips: Look at logs, top, ps aux, ... stuff like that.
[11:25am] jrseti_: ok, I'll take a look. Send me an email if it seems particularly bad.
[11:26am] sigblips: OK
[11:28am] jrseti_: 2) Distant Suns
[11:28am] jrseti_: The guy who makes Distant Suns has incorporated the setiquest.info XML feed.
[11:28am] jrseti_: Now when we are observing, his program allows you to zoom right in on the area.
[11:29am] jrseti_: It runs on iPhone/iPad. Costs $10
[11:29am] lnigra: what image database, googlesky?
[11:29am] sigblips: How much of that cut does the SETI Institute get?
[11:30am] jrseti_: I have no idea what the image database is.
[11:30am] jrseti_: SETI gets no money. He is using our free XML feed.
[11:31am] lnigra: $10 app cost and no cut? Hmmm.... :-)
[11:31am] sigblips: I thought I read about some special SETI Institute promotion? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it has expired?
[11:31am] jrseti_: No promotion
[11:31am] sigblips: No, it was there a while back on the seti.org page.
[11:32am] jrseti_: remind me of the URL
[11:32am] sigblips: I'll let you know if I find it again.
[11:34am] jrseti_: We had a bad storm at the ATA on Sunday. One of the antenna feeds was damaged from the dish's radome ripping off.
[11:34am] sigblips: http://www.seti.org/seti-institute/news/seti-institute-partners-distant-...
[11:34am] sigblips: "SETI Institute Partners with Distant Suns (max) Astronomy App"
[11:34am] lnigra: ouch!
[11:36am] jrseti_: That page at that URL is misleading. I wouldn't use "Partners". He is just using the free XML feed.
[11:37am] sigblips: Somebody call Karen! (: Her phone number is on that page.
[11:39am] jrseti_: I'll talk to Karen. 'm always the last to know anything.
[11:39am] sigblips: Jill said "The SETI Institute is thrilled to be partners with Distant Suns,"
[11:39am] sigblips: I sure hope the SETI Institute is getting some cut for this.
[11:40am] jrseti_: No idea.
[11:41am] jrseti_: I do want anyone to be able to use that feed, free of charge.
[11:41am] lnigra: makes sense, jrseti
[11:42am] sigblips: That sounds fair. I agree, good for the project.
[11:42am] lnigra: might require an acknowledgment at most
[11:43am] jrseti_: good idea
[11:43am] lnigra: that's standard for images and such and could be requested for users of the feed.
[11:44am] lnigra: actually, it's the good netizen thing to do anyway. shouldn't have to ask.
[11:44am] jrseti_: right
[11:44am] sigblips: We do that for using the setiQuest data. That's why I have that "Licensed by SETI" bit at the bottom of my setiQuest blog posts.
[11:45am] sigblips: I mean it's a requirement when you use the setiQuest data.
[11:45am] jrseti_: yes
[11:47am] jrseti_: Good discussion about Voyager on the Forum
[11:47am] sigblips: http://setiquest.org/forum/topic/baudline-analysis-voyager-1-redux
[11:48am] jrseti_: Rob just posted a cool graph
[11:48am] sigblips: Yes it's a good discussion. I'm happy so many people have taken an interest in it.
[11:49am] jrseti_: Would it be possible to view the information contained several sidebands away?
[11:50am] sigblips: What would be great is a much longer duration Voyager data collection. That straight drift would look like Rob's plot. I see that sort of thing with LEO's.
[11:51am] sigblips: Yes jrseti, trying to find the modulated section would be a great exercise and goal. I heard yesterday on the NASA Voyager live talk that the data is modulated at 110 bits/second.
[11:52am] jrseti_: I wonder if we could catch any of the information?
[11:53am] sigblips: Even though the ATA is smaller than the DSN dishes I think this may be possible.
[11:53am] jrseti_: Maybe this would be a good test when we get the new feeds in a year or so
[11:54am] sigblips: Not through SonATA though. Hmmm I wonder if this could get Gerry interested in collecting more setiQuest data?
[11:54am] lnigra: Is it FSK, MSK?
[11:54am] sigblips: Voyager is either BPSK or QPSK.
[11:55am] lnigra: thx
[11:55am] jrseti_: Where can details about the actual signal information be found? Is that published? I tried Googling to no avail.
[11:55am] sigblips: It is buried deep in the NASA archives. I've only been able to find tidbits of information.
[11:58am] jrseti_: Would be interesting to know if they actually make that available
[11:58am] lnigra: Another question. Is the CW trace we see a pilot or is it carrier leakage?
[11:58am] jrseti_: Much spam this last week?
[11:59am] jrseti_: Lnigra: I don't know.
[11:59am] sigblips: Some of the specs are available, only tidbits like I said. I'm guessing NASA doesn't want to publish their operations manual because they don't want some hacker with a big antenna messing with their space probe.
[12:00pm] jrseti_: ha!
[12:00pm] sigblips: No visible spam in the setiQuest forum. The spammers are still trying. They are determined. They don't know it yet but they've lost.
[12:01pm] jrseti_: great
[12:01pm] jrseti_: Our hour is up. Anything else?
[12:02pm] lnigra: not here
[12:02pm] sigblips: Nope
[12:02pm] jrseti_: Thanks!
[12:03pm] jrseti_: Next time...
[12:03pm] jrseti_ left the chat room. (Remote host closed the connection)
[12:03pm] lnigra: Ok, see y'all later!
[12:03pm] sigblips: Bye all, I'll post the transcript in the forum.
[12:03pm] lnigra left the chat room. (Quit: Page closed)

sigblips
sigblips's picture
I just heard a Distant Suns

I just heard a Distant Suns advertisement on the Doomsday episode of the Big Picture Science radio show. http://www.seti.org/BiPiSci/DoomsdayLivePart1  This is very different than a "partnership" but I'm happy to know that the SETI Institute is getting some financial compensation for this.