Discussion Forums

Follow @setiQuest on Twitter

7 replies [Last post]
sigblips
sigblips's picture

I'm the new guest tweeter for the @setiQuest Twitter account. This account has been dormant for one year (ignoring a single post on March 1st 2012). It's a valuable resource that has had practically zero activity for a whole year. I'm going to fix that. My mission is simple:

• transform the setiQuest Twitter account into something useful
  • gain followers
  • spread the word about #SETI.

Here is my plan:

• retweet SETI news
  • respond to Twitter replies
  • post major SETI Institute and ATA news
  • post snippets and links to interesting setiQuest forum topics

The goal is to have the @setiQuest feed be a high quality and low volume resource that focuses on setiQuest in particular and SETI in general. The key with social media is to engage and interact with your followers. I will attempt to do that. You won't see NASA space news or talk about general science topics (the @SETIInstitute Twitter feed is great for that). Our focus is strictly SETI; the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.

Stay up to date, keep your modulators locked, and follow https://twitter.com/setiquest

jrseti
jrseti's picture
Shall I redirect the SonATA

Shall I redirect the SonATA observation tweets to push to @setiquest? Right now the tweets are published to @jrseti.

-jrseti

sigblips
sigblips's picture
Please don't since that would

Please don't since that would flood the @setiQuest channel with similar looking SonATA reports. I plan to occasionally retweet your reports. That will mix it up a bit and better allow for a conversation.

Does a script upload the tweets automatically?  Are you concerned about the SonATA reports filling up your @jrseti tweet stream?  If so have you thought about creating a new Twitter account solely for the SonATA reports?

jrseti
jrseti's picture
Yes, it is sent

Yes, it is sent automatically. It only sends 2 reports a day, one when we start, one when we end observing for the day. So no worries about filling up the tweet stream. My original plan was to get it working well under @jrseti, then move it over to @setiquest. I got the idea for this from the NASA Voyager twitter posts.

-jrseti

sigblips
sigblips's picture
My primary concern is the

My primary concern is the tweet volume but my secondary concern is that people don't know what the stats mean. The observation tweets don't have context like the NASA Voyager tweets do. Other than a handful of current and ex- SETI Institute employees, I am the most knowledgeable person on the planet about SonATA's inner workings, and I don't know exactly what those stats mean. I started a Twitter conversation about the SonATA observation stats.

https://twitter.com/setiquest/status/277142912419119104

Let's see if we can explain them in 140 characters! (:

Some @setiQuest twitter account updates. I added a starfield background and I created a higher resolution setiQuest avatar icon.  How do they look?

jrseti
jrseti's picture
Sigblips; The background

Sigblips; The background looks really nice.
I could make the URL in the twitter post not point to setiquest.info, but another page that explains the stats. Do you like that idea?

-jrseti

sigblips
sigblips's picture
Hey @jrseti. You haven't

Hey @jrseti. You haven't tweeted back in this intriguing Twitter conversation:

https://twitter.com/setiquest/status/277142912419119104

if(remain > 0) open_champange(); ?

People want to know. Respond with a good answer and be retweeted!

sigblips
sigblips's picture
You've been retweeted! Next

You've been retweeted! Next question. Is it possible to only post the if(remain > 0) cases to the @setiQuest Twitter feed? Such a filter would reduce the number of automated SonATA bot tweets to only the most interesting ones.