Discussion Forums

informal presentation Friday, April 22 at 11am

6 replies [Last post]
gerryharp

Hi All

In case you haven't noticed the blog, we're going to try something new tomorrow. I'll be hosting a discussion on #setiquest IRC on the topic of CETI (communication with extra terrestrial intelligence) and a recent book edited by Doug Vakoch (check the front-page blog). Until tomorrow morning (PDT) I'll be updating the pdf of supporting slides at

ftp://ftp.seti.org/gharp/setiQuestIRC.pdf

I believe we'll be posting the chat to this website as we usually do with our IRC.

I'm hoping some of the GSoC applicants will have the opportunity to join, though I know that for many of you, 11am PDT is not a convenient time to be awake and active.

Talk to you soon,

Gerry

sigblips
sigblips's picture
For information and links on

For information and links on how to connect to the #setiquest IRC channel see:

http://setiquest.org/wiki/index.php/Community_meeting

c0unt_zer0
#setiquest IRC channel

It's cool!

avinash
Thanks Gerry, Sigblips and

Thanks Gerry, Sigblips and others.

I would love to hear from everyone about what they think of the session. If you attended it, what did you like and what can we do to improve it.

If you did not attend it, then let us know what can be changed to make these talks interesting for you.

Thanks.

Avinash

c0unt_zer0
This was good conversation.

This was good conversation. Thanks Gerry for him job. Thanks Sigblips for chat transcript. Thanks all

sigblips
sigblips's picture
I thought it was a really

I thought it was a really good talk. Gerry mentioned this at the end, the IRC text medium is much slower than speaking. Limiting future talks to about ~10 slides would probably work better timewise.

I particularly liked how Gerry did a "Pause" and then asked if there were any questions after each slide. Expanding on this, asking a number of specific questions after each slide might be a welcome addition that encourages more audience participation. It would make it more classroom-like and maybe IRC's private message system could be used if there are many students answering. Homework assignments are also an intriguing idea.

That was some fast typing. I'm curious if Gerry typed his lecture material real-time or if he did a copy-n-paste?

sigblips
sigblips's picture
For the chat transcript see

For the chat transcript see:

http://setiquest.org/blog/does-et-text-or-talk