Discussion Forums

Pulsar Harmonics

2 replies [Last post]
Dave Robinson
Dave Robinson's picture

Can anyone help – I am somewhat confused! I am undertaking an investigation into pulsar dispersion, and thought I would use the data I have for the psrb0139+54 pulsar – which I know you can observe the early harmonics of the pulsar in its spectrum.

Now I had convinced myself that the pulse rate we would observe from the pulsar would exhibit a Doppler shift due to the relative motion between the Earth and the Neutron star; so I undertook a high resolution spectral analysis of 16 seconds of my data from the beginning of my data, and the similar analysis taken from the end of my data with a gap of about 400 seconds between the two data records. What really surprised me was that to within 1/16Hz the harmonics exactly aligned. Not what I was expecting at all.

Thinking that the harmonics weren't what I was looking at, I generated a set of frequency domain Fiducial lines corresponding to the published pulsar period, and sure enough they aligned exactly with my harmonics, so I don't think my Fourier analysis is at fault. The problem must be with my understanding of how the Doppler shift would manifest itself on the pulsar pulses amplitude spectrum, What I was expecting to see was would look like a series of parallel angled lines on a Waterfall diagram – not a series of absolutely vertical lines.

Can anyone put me out of my misery and put me right on what is going on – its probably me having a senior moment.

Regards

Dave Robinson

robackrman
Hi Dave, The dominant

Hi Dave,

The dominant acceleration term is from Earth rotation which will exhibit a velocity in the pulsar direction ranging over 0 to a few hundred meters/second.  Therefore, depending on the interval between observations, the non-relativistic Doppler shift term (velocity/speed-of-light) at its greatest would approximate 10^2/10^8 which would change only the sixth decimal place of the 0329+54 pulser .715s period.  Over the 400 second interval you mentioned, only the ninth decimal place would change.  You would not see either of these tiny effects in 1/16Hz Fourier bins.  Please do the math yourself to double-check my claims. 

I am not sure why you mentioned dispersion in the first paragraph in association with your Doppler shift study.  Pulsar 0329+54 won't exhibit significant dispersion over the ~ 8MHz bandwidth of the captured ATA data.  An excellent example of dispersion can be seen through Fourier analysis on a giant pulse in the Crab pulsar data.

I would be happy to interact with you by email to further discuss your experiment but won't do so in this forum.

Regards,
Rob

Dave Robinson
Dave Robinson's picture
Many thanks

Thanks Rob

Your input was exactly what I needed. I am really pleased that you told me that I won't see any dispersion from this Pulsar, so that I won't get any shock to find that the phase relationship at the pulsar frequency is linear. I have temporarily stopped working on the Crab as I couldn't extract any evidence of the Pulsar harmonics in its spectral data, and within my limited analysis hadn't seen any giant pulses.

I am really using this experiment to test out my new suite of Fourier tools I have developed in Python to prove that they are working as I think they should.

Thanks for the offer of an EMAIL discussion, I will definately take you up on that offer, I was tempted to send this query directly to you, but felt that I would be imposing on you, after all you have done to give my research such a forward boost.

Thanks once again

Regards

Dave Robinson