Discussion Forums

SETI Brainstorm

1 reply [Last post]
sigblips
sigblips's picture

SETI Brainstorm is a new new public participation SETI project by the UC Berkeley seti@home people. The concept is very similar to setiQuest and they are making their Green Bank data publicly available. The sample format is dual-polarization 2-bit quadrature samples of an 800 MHz bandwidth (1.1 - 1.9 GHz) that is split into 256 x 3.125 MHz bands. They are using Bit Torrent for data distribution. It will be interesting to watch how this project progresses.

For more information see:

I welcome the open availability of more high quality radio telescope data on the Internet but I'm concerned how SETI Brainstorm will compete with setiQuest in the volunteer space. Are there enough motivated and skilled volunteers to go around? I'm sure there will be some level of code and tool collaboration between the two projects.  What are your thoughts?

jrseti
jrseti's picture
Competition is great. The

Competition is great. The more outer-space signals for people to analyse the better. 

There are 2 related issues readers of this may be interested in:

1) Several people have expressed interest in converting the Brainstorm data into setiData and vice-versa so both Brainstorm and setiData can share ideas. If you are interested in helping, let us know on the forum. What we would really like is several people in the open source community to head this pask, be project leaders. So let us know if you are interested. This work will will build upon the Algorithms project, which is a recently developed toolkit for setiData manipulation. See project details at http://setiquest.org/wiki/index.php/Algorithms

2) We are currently in the process of designing a "data conduit" for allowing real time data to be available to the general public. We are not ready to share the details, but we are hoping to have a limited bandwidth real time data feed available to the general public sometime Spring 2012. So stay tuned.

We should be using bit-torrent to distribute data. 

-jrseti