Discussion Forums

setiCloud buggyness?

2 replies [Last post]
Anders Feder

How succesful is everyone with using setiCloud? I like the concept, but I feel there is a lot of bugs crawling under the hood. For instance, right now all my 'views' are stuck at 11.5% complete and won't budge. Maybe an organized effort to iron out all the early issues with Cloudant is in order?

gerryharp
yes indeed

Hi Anders

I acknowledge the primitive state of setiCloud. Quite literally, we got this version of it working only this morning before the OSCon presentation. We need to create more examples of working cloud code that performs useful analysis. This will help, and we're working on it.

I was introduced to Cloudant, Amazon, and REST only a few weeks ago when we launched this project. It has come a long way in a very short time. At this point, the interface is unforgiving -- if you make a small syntax error the results are not deterministic. We are working toward a more resilient system with our next deadline being the presentation at SETICon in mid-August.

I encourage everyone to record scenarios that reproduce a bug. This is the best way to help us discover exactly what's going wrongly and then fix it. Our partners at Cloudant are highly motivated and are working to make setiCloud easier to use.

If you use the REST interface (through e.g. cUrl), then we are assured that setiCloud is feature-complete. I've been working on a cheat sheet of curl-based commands, and I'll post something as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, consider this a journey of discovery. Good hunting!

Gerry

Anders Feder
I've been trying to record

I've been trying to record buggy scenarios, but either I am just not very good at quality testing or the issues of a intermittent nature that make them difficult to reproduce. Can we catch the Cloudant team in real-time somehow and discuss the issues with them as we experience them? (IRC maybe?)

Very much looking forward to the information on the REST interface.

And by the way, I do consider it a journey of discovery - but the more effectively I can help you zero in on the bugs, the faster you can get rid of them and turn this into a top-notch astronomy platform!