Discussion Forums

setiQuest Summit at SETICon

6 replies [Last post]
mirlyd

Now that the SETICon program is out, I see there is an invitation only SETIQuest event.  I guess I should assume I am not invited?  But seriously, is there anyone who can expand on what this session is?

Saturday - 11:15 to 12:15 and 12:30 to 1:30 in Cypress room.

Anders Feder
Yeah, anything with the words

Yeah, anything with the words "By Invitation Only" on it in relation to an open source project is a little bad :P I don't know why you would want to exclude anyone from participating in that event.

macirish
  If you're lucky enough to

If you're lucky enough to be able to attend SETICon you can drop a note to Karen Randall at:

krandall  @  seti.org

Mention that you're a registered SETIQuest member and she'll get you an invitation.

PS - You'll have to edit the spaces out of the address - this forum rejects email addresses.

mirlyd
sorry about errant location of reply

I replied to macirish's post but inadvertantly did so as a reply to my original post.  Sorry.

mirlyd
setiQuest Summit Info

I took macirish's advice and contacted Ms. Randall and a lengthy and informative phone conversation ensued.  She asked me to summarize here.

The summit session that is by invitation only is intended to serve as an advisory to the SETIQuest team (i.e. the paid staff, not us ) on how to run the program in an "open source" manner.  The restriction is meant to make sure the group was small enough so that an actual roadmap could be developed.  So from that standpoint I certainly understand not wanting a couple of hundred people in the room.

She is gathering a list of heavy hitters to attend to give this advice and I'll drop some names just to demonstrate the caliber of people.  James Gosling and Danese Cooper are confirmed.  She listed several other names and I can say the names you are thinking of are probably on that list. It was very impressive.

Beyond that, however, she expressed genuine interest in having the SETI community contribute but admitted this is a new paradigm for them coming from a more traditional scientific environment.  So she admits that they are learning as they go.  On that note, she now understands that posting an invitation only event to a summit on an "open source" project is contradictory.  Having had this conversation nonetheless has got me more excited about SETIQuest than ever before so now I think I will go register for SETICon and make travel arrangements.

Anders Feder
 Nice piece of research

Nice piece of research there. Many "open source" organizations (GNOME Foundation, Wikimedia Foundation come to mind) do operate in a more traditional, closed fashion. I am not necessarily impressed by the performance of those organizations though. It would be nice if setiQuest strive to be the "open source project of the century" rather than just another bureaucratic dinosaur of mediocrity.

sigblips
sigblips's picture
I agree it would be nice but

I agree it would be nice but don't feel bad. I'm located right next door in Cupertino and I wasn't invited to the summit either. I guess they aren't interested in my opinion.