Discussion Forums

Use the Amazon cloud for fast SETI computing!

15 replies [Last post]
gerryharp

Hi Friends
I have some thrilling news for creative SETI explorers. We are looking for beta-testers to begin analysis on real SETI data, using any algorithm they believe has promise!

For some time, the SETI Institute has been interested in cloud computing to speed up our signal processing. Through a generous gift from Amazon, and we now have pro bono time on the Amazon cloud including substantial data storage and compute power. We also have a modest download budget for returning results from computations.
In the past few weeks, SI has started a new project called setiCloud to use and share these resources. The goal is to choose a familiar programming / analysis language (e.g. Matlab) and allow users to log in, write Matlab programs and do data analysis, actually performing the analyses on real data from the ATA telescope. Then they can download highly reduced data products (like the frequency/bandwidth of the alien signal!  (^_^) ).
The SETI Instittute has teamed with a hot startup called Cloudant (https://cloudant.com/) to make this happen. Instead of using the licensed product Matlab, we settled on the freeware version of Matlab called "Octave." Octave is available for free download at http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/ (see also http://octave.sourceforge.net/index.html for Windows installer). Octave has the same syntax and for simple applications uses identical code as Matlab. AFAIK, anything written in Octave will run in Matlab, but not always vice versa.
The entire analysis toolkit (Amazon + SETI Data + Octave) is scheduled to be released to the public around July 22, but in the mean time, we are looking for beta-testers. In exchange for providing feedback, beta testers get the valuable opportunity to be the first to write and perform their analyses on existing data, and we hope that some beta testers will evolve into trusted guru's as the project goes public.
This is a great opportunity -- where else can you get "free" time on the Amazon cloud to look for alien signals?!
If you know something about SETI and some programming, then you can probably learn basic Octave and understand our basic programs in a day. People who have great new ideas for signal types or very fast algorithms are strongly encouraged to apply by simply responding to this posting.
Thanks and the beta testing may begin in a week.
Gerry Harp, Astrophysicist, SETI Institute

Anders Feder
Please sign me up! I don't

Please sign me up! I don't know a lot about signal processing, but I know about programming and I want to learn.

How will you manage the download budget though? Will each user have a transfer quota or something?

sigblips
sigblips's picture
I'd like to be a beta-tester.

I'd like to be a beta-tester.

af6kd
Sign me up, too. I have some

Sign me up, too. I have some KLT scripts i would like to run.

sv1etk
Sign me up too :D

Sign me up too :D

gerryharp
what's your handle?

Hi

How shall I address you?

KLT is very interesting, and closely related to eigenvalue decomposition as I understand it. That sounds like a good idea.

Gerry

af6kd
KLT...

You can contact me offline at hartzell@gmail.com.

Dave

gerryharp
thanks

Thank you, Sigblips

You're definitely on the list!

Gerry

Anders Feder
Don't worry about me. I'll

Don't worry about me. I'll just watch everyone else have fun!

gerryharp
update on setiCloud

We've named this project now, it's called setiCloud (alliterates with setiQuest, etc.).

The software and Amazon hosting site will be released on July 22 during Jill Tarter's keynote address at Open Source Con in Portland, Or. At that time we'll host a short introduction and (if facilities are available) an informal "hackathon" at a convenient location.

If you prefer an easy start, then join us Aug. 13-15 at the SETI Institute for SETICon, which is a world wide conference on SETI. We'll have break out sessions for people who are interested in our open source project, setiCloud project, etc. We'll have tutors there, to help you get started with logins, data access and test code. Once you have that, you'll be able to write any algorithm you like! Before you arrive, be sure to brush up on your Octave (MatLab) programming.

We'll get a few beta-testers on board before OSCon if possible, and we're focusing our energy on getting a sufficiently featured product out there for beta testers to try.

Its going to be fun, so don't miss out!

Gerry

macirish
Pls sign me up for setiCloud

I'd like to participate in your program. Thank you.

KenMc

d.brownjr
Currrent Status of SetiCloud

Can you tell me the status of the SetiCloud project? I have a EE and CS background and I am interested in performing some analysis. I looked throug the site and it seems things are still in the early stages. Any information you can provide would be apreciated.

Thanks

David Brown

Anders Feder
setiCloud is live and

setiCloud is live and running, though a bit underdocumented. Currently you can find a tutorial here: http://setiquest.org/wiki/seticloud

d.brownjr
Thanks

Welcome to the future!

arunkrish
I am interested. Please sign

I am interested. Please sign me up..

Anders Feder
Beta is

Beta is over: http://setiquest.org/join-the-quest/algorithms/trying-your-algoritms. But use it at your own peril. It's known to have bugs.