Discussion Forums

verify galactic center signal?

warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'mimemail_incoming_access' not found or invalid function name in /www/setiquest.org/public/includes/menu.inc on line 453.
1 reply [Last post]
Joined: 2011-09-22
Posts: 1

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site but a longtime SETI enthousiast -- even did SETI@HOME back in the 90s. Anyways, I did a few "assignments" in the setiQuest Explorer and think I found some locked line patterns. I noted them in the explorer software but I wasn't sure who, if anyone, actually reviews that. If you do, please contact me I'd like to know what I found.

All but one of the the galacticcenter-2 assignments that came my way were totally white. But one had static, and it was in the Oct 8, 2010 3990.4552 - 3990.5193 MHz range. In this one, I saw 10+ patterns. They originated at a point in the static, and then continued white in a straigh line down, most of the times broken at points of weakness but always linear as a whole. Is this common?!?

Also, when I hit next assignment after that, the system told me it gave me the exact same assignment, galacticcenter-2 over that same range. But this time, everything was white. What gives? Maybe the dates were different?

So yeah, I was hoping someone who had a way to look at specific regions could verify.


sigblips's picture
Joined: 2010-04-20
Posts: 733
There are a lot of

There are a lot of interesting signals in the setiQuest Data. It is possible that your setiQuest Explorer assignment was either the GPS or AMC-7 satellite datasets. It is also possible that you saw RFI. Without an exact file name and MHz value it is difficult to figure out what you saw.

The 2010-05-07-galanticenter-2 dataset was one of several that were lost due to a bad disk. The white screen is because those waterfall files don't exist anymore. I'm guessing the signals you saw at 3990.4552 - 3990.5193 MHz were a leftover bug from the previous  2010-10-08 galactic center dataset you viewed. But that is just my guess, maybe Francis has some insight. We are in the process of removing the lost waterfall datasets from the the setiQuest Explorer database.